Browse Items (182 total)

011.jpg
Michie Stadium was built in 1924. In 1962, stands were added on the Lusk Reservoir side. This photo shows the addition of upper stands in 1969. The original 1924 architects, Osborn Engineering (Ohio) designed the 1923 Yankee Stadium and 1934…

013.jpg
The first completely new barracks at West Point in about a half-century, considerable work needed to be done on the site to make room for footprint. Over 160,000 pieces of granite were used. It is named for Air Force General Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.,…

012.jpg
Jefferson Hall is the 3rd building built at West Point to be a library. The first was in 1841 and the second, now part of Bartlett Hall, was completed in 1964. Before the 1840s, the library was in a converted house and then in the 1815 Academy, which…

010.jpg
Expensive and two years behind schedule, Mahan Hall was a necessary academic-focused project given the 2,000 Cadet increase in the Corps during the 1960s. The site selection on a rocky, steep slope challenged the construction team.

009.jpg
Until a name was chosen, this building was called “C Barracks” in planning documents and what became MacArthur Barracks was “D Barracks.”

007a.jpg
Converting the Riding Hall to the academic Thayer Hall led to the conversion of the original curved roof (first image) to a flat surface designed to hold a new parking lot (second image).

006.jpg
Although the cornerstone says 1837, the Old Cadet Chapel, the Academy’s first building solely dedicated to the purpose, was completed in 1836 on a site now occupied by Bartlett Hall. In 1910, it was moved stone-by-stone to the Cemetery when the space…

005.jpg
Workers lay the foundation walls of a new academic building now known as Bartlett Hall. Across the street was the West Academic Building, now Pershing Barracks. Because grades were reported in tenths, the road between the two structures was sometimes…

004b.jpg
Cram, Goodhue, & Ferguson, Architects

004a.jpg
Thayer Hall was the riding hall until the 1940s. As seen here, the walls on the Hudson River side were built while existing horse stables were still being used. The 1850s riding hall was just a few yards south of this location.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2